Residential and Business Parking Permits
Parking permits are issued in accordance with the procedures established in [Dover Code of Ordinances, Sec. 13-40]. The permits expire annually on July 15th. The Special Enforcement Unit of the Police Department is responsible for assigning permit colors to the specific areas each year.
- A resident of a designated residential parking area may be issued no more than (3) parking stickers (one per vehicle)
- Business employees in designated areas may receive a residential parking permit. This sticker exempts the vehicle from the time-limit parking restrictions only in the designated area.
- A business may only be issued (1) sticker per business address.
- The State of Delaware is considered one business, regardless of how many different offices are located in the building.
- A building with several 'suites' housing different businesses is entitled to one sticker per 'suite'.
- Local, county, and state agencies as well as courts are each considered one business.
Renewal / Changes
When a resident has a change of address, they are required to make a new application for a permit within two weeks. If a a resident is at the 3-sticker maximum and wishes to obtain a permit for a newly purchased vehicle, they mus provide:
- A copy of the 'bill of sale' showing trade-in of the previously-issued vehicle or
- Provide the (peeled) sticker
Any request for temporary permits for visitors, or for exceptions to the parking restrictions for any reason (ex: moving vans, construction) should be referred to the Police Department.
- Temporary permits will not be issured for more than thirty (30) days.
DISCLAIMER: The information is prepared for you as a general guide to our utility policy. Please understand that it does not cover all circumstances and that it might not include specific details on a subject which interests you. If you have questions that are not covered here or want information on any subject, please give us a call. We are here to serve you!