Engineering Services & System Operations Superintendent
Job Title: Engineering Services & System Operations Superintendent
Salary range: Based on qualifications
The City of Dover is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Engineering Services & System Operations Superintendent. The staff member holding this position will have direct supervision of the system operations, engineering and substation divisions with the City of Dover’s Electric Department. Developing, implementing and managing capital projects will also be part of the portfolio of work. The department also includes a Transmission & Distribution division which is managed by the Linecrew Superintendent.
To ensure staff members are working as a team and growing professionally, the Superintendent provides guidance and direction as well as growth and professional opportunities. The supervised divisions should reflect the culture department as a whole and of the city. In addition, to foster a positive work environment acting and communicating in a manner that promotes harmonious relations with customers, co-workers and supervisors is required.
The following examples of job responsibilities will provide ways in which you, the candidate, will become immersed in our Electric Department and advance the city to satisfy our customer’s electrical needs.
Operations Management. Oversees the management of numerous projects that can either be completed by contractors or in-house staff. Management includes budgeting project costs and monitoring expenses to remain within budget and ensure timely completion, meeting deadlines, balancing staffing, weather and material availability and ordering necessary supplies. All projects must follow department policies and procedures and all Federal, State, and local legal, regulatory, and safety standards/requirements. Related documentation is required.
Financial Management. Manage and develop department budgets and budget reporting methods. Responsible for purchasing and approving electrical materials for City projects and stock levels; reviews vendor/ contractor bids and conducts cost analysis. Drafts Requests for Proposals and Quotes for purchases related to O & M and Capital expenses. Track Capital Improvement and New Development project expenditures and request budget adjustments as required.
Communication. Serve as a representative of the City regarding customer service on electrical system matters. Act as a liaison between the City and outside vendors during City projects. Coordinate and report Department operations to City officials and Department heads.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical/ Industrial Engineering or a related field
- Professional Engineer (PE) License preferred but not required
- 7 to 9 years of experience in functions related to the position
- Equivalent education and experience
- Strong knowledge of budgetary planning and reporting
- Excellent financial, statistical, and mathematical analysis and reporting skills
- Well versed in Microsoft Office products to compile and analyze data, write reports, correspond with customers and others, document incidents and performance, etc.
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate with peers or co-workers
- Proficient oral and written communication and social skills
- Familiarity with AutoCAD and ArcGIS
- Ability to read and decipher electrical drawings and schematics
- Prefer some project management experience
To view the entire job description for complete details on job responsibilities and requirements, please visit, https://www.cityofdover.com/job-titles-and-rates. Please select the Non-bargaining tab and locate the Engineering Services & System Operations Superintendent position.
- Health, dental, vision and group life insurance
- 401a and 457 deferred compensation plans
- Paid vacation and sick leave
To Apply Submit the Following
- City of Dover employment application (www.cityofdover.com/jobs)
- Cover Letter including specific salary requirement
Weekly Salary: Based on qualifications
Closing Date: Open until filled however candidates are encouraged to apply by July 9, 2021
Ethical conduct and honest behavior are our basic organizational values. Candidates will be instrumental in assisting to make Dover a place where people want to live through our motto –
Dedication, Ownership, Vision, Excellence and Reliability
City of Dover is an Equal Opportunity Employer,